Rape is an attack and it can happen to a boy or a girl. But it often doesn’t happen on a street or with a stranger. Most often a rapist is someone you know. It doesn’t matter who it is, rape is a violent crime. Your first goal is to get away from the rapist and get help.
Here’s how to stay safe:
- Trust your gut. If someone is making you feel awkward and nervous, get away from them. Make an excuse, leave the room, find a crowd, grab a friend or just run.
- Stick to places where plenty of people are. Avoid being alone in dark places like empty streets, open lots or an empty house. If you feel that you’re being followed, move quickly to where there are lots of people or even pretend to talk loudly on your phone or to yourself.
- Watch what you drink. Don’t drink too much. You could make bad decisions and get into situations where you are more vulnerable to rape.
- If you are out drinking, keep your drink with you at all times. Someone can put drugs (called date rape drugs) in it – these drugs cause you to pass out and make you vulnerable to rape
- Be firm. If someone is making you feel uneasy, tell them in a very firm, confident voice to leave you alone. It’s important that they know you mean business. Look them in the eye. If you are in a vulnerable position, try and sit up or stand up and face them squarely.
- Make a big noise. Whether it’s happening in your house, a friend’s house or a deserted place with a stranger, don’t be silent. Scream to attract attention no matter who the rapist is. Better still carry a whistle or pepper spray and use them!
- Have money with you, if possible. Make sure you have always have enough money to get a taxi if you find yourself in a potential rape situation.
Rape is a crime and it is never your fault. Your first goal is to survive the attack or get away, and then get help.
Think that rape happens only with a stranger? You may want to read below:
Another thing which should have been talked about which leads to most individuals been raped is the way they dress or dress code....... Let's be mindful in the way we dress if we are moving about in the streets because the way certain individuals dress attracts the rapist to rape them ..... anyway the topics are educative1 year, 2 months Ago Report